The Beginning

Belchamps Scout Centre opened in 1936 with the Declaration of Trust/Trust Deed completed 16th May 1936, the Grounds were purchased for the sum of £1936 by the Southend-on-Sea and District Boy Scouts Association.

Essex Jamboree

One of the events we are very proud to have been part of is Essex Jamboree. In 1949 Belchamps hosted the 3rd Essex Jamboree. This was the first time it became the Essex International Jamboree, and our international Scouts were offered home hospitality after the event. The jamboree then held every 4 years up to the 9th at Belchamps (1949-1980). Our site is 30 acres, and EIJ became such a great event that it became too big for the campsite. Thanks to Peter Brady for letting us take some images of his amazing collection of scout memorabilia.

The old Rover Hut

The old Rover Hut 1950s is also known as the Rover Den and been told it had the old tractor shed behind it.

The old Rover Hut

The old Rover Hut in use, was the HQ before the brick-built building was opened in the early 50s

Essex Jamboree 1980

Essex Jambree Event Booklets

Used the Arrows in the middle to move to the next booklet.

Essex Jambree 1968

Contact Belchamps

Camp Site Address:

Holyoak Lane, Hockley

Essex, SS5 4JD

Telephone: 01702 842 684


Shop and Office Opening Times

10am - 4pm
10am - 4pm
Shop/Office Closed
3pm -6pm
Shop/Office Closed
Office Closed
Office Closed

Where To Find Belchamps

Belchamps Scout Activity Center

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This